Make Sure To:
- Gather them all in one place
- Put them in categories by format (i.e. slide, reel, VHS, DVD etc.)
- Transfer them to digital format for safe storage – Flash Drive – external hard drive
- Back them up in the Cloud – Google Photos, Amazon, iCloud
- Once they are in the digital format – Make sure you have the means of viewing them when desired. You want to be able to show them to your children and enjoy the memories.
- Label the Digital copies clearly – events, locations, time periods etc.
- Store the digital versions in a safe or safety deposit box.
- Store the login information for the place they are backed up (Google, Amazon etc.) in the safe or safety deposit box as well.
- If you want to keep the original film to maintain archival quality – make sure to store it in a specialized container that protects the film and keep the projector or means of playing the original film/tape etc.
Services that will transfer the reels, VHS, mini tapes etc. to Digital Format
(These are just some – there are many more!)
A Great Resource for More Tips!
Here is a great resource from the Library of Congress with some information on archiving personal videos. (Might as well learn from the experts on preservation!)