Top Apps, Monitoring Programs, and Informational Websites for Parents
One of the best tactics parents have for Parenting in the a Facebook World is Knowledge and Awareness.
The first level of Knowledge and Awareness is General — Knowing the basic range of technology in our world today and where it will go in the future.
General (a sampling of what is out there now)
- Tablets/iPads etc.
- Computers – desk and laptops
- Alarm/Security Systems
- Baby Monitors
The second level of Knowledge and Awareness is Specific — Knowing the apps, programs, games, websites that are available.
Specific – top social media apps/programs/websites for kids and teens. 90% of young adults are on social media 18-34) pew research center
Adults (use those below as well as some use on ones previously listed)
Games (If your child is interested in something research!!)
Help in choosing the best Video games for your child
The 3rd level of Knowledge and Awareness is knowing the Laws (protecting and enforcing) and the Tricks
- To protect children from others – anti bullying laws, sexual predator laws, stalking laws, child pornography laws, harassment laws – they are passing new laws all of the time….this is a new area of law and law enforcement and they are learning as they go too.
- That kids can get in trouble with – i.e. If inappropriate photo is found on their phone – they are liable (even if they didn’t take it, but it was sent to them – talk to them about this.) Mean things written on their social media – they are liable – even if they didn’t write it.
Tricks (not to make you paranoid, but just aware)
– Audio Manager, Calculator, vaulty, snapchat, burn note, line, omegle, tinder, blendr, kik messenger. Poof
After making sure we have Knowledge and Awareness in our arsenal, we can look at specific tools that are available to monitor and provide us with the knowledge and awareness.
Websites that can provide information on movies, games, media
Knowing about games and movies
Built in Parental Control Programs – Online monitoring software seems to be more effective that software that blocks it – especially for older kids, because it allows the parent to see what the child is doing and start the appropriate conversations. Blocking it can often lead to kids just working to get around it and then the parents don’t know and then never have the conversation.
- search history
- search history on Google Play or iStore
- Kajeet – for phone ******
- Apple Controls – for phone
- Computer ones – Microsoft etc. cookies,
- Netflix or TV program parental controls – “recently watched”
- There are many monitoring apps —
But here are some monitoring apps that allow you to check the phone without taking the phone.
Parental Control Apps
Managing Phones and Mobile Devices – Blocking certain functions etc.
Note: The best tactics will always remain doing spot checks on the technology, following them on social media, talking to them, and listening to them!
Here is another great resource for parents/teachers:
Allconnect offers another great resource for parents. It includes practical tips and concrete information on the laws in each state.